Sunnyside Cemetery
HISTORIC SECTION DETAIL MAP
And Historically Significant Burials

The historical section of Sunnyside Cemetery contains the Davis Blockhouse. It also has numerous burials of historical significance to the central Whidbey Island area. The most noteworthy are shown on this listing.

RETURN TO BURIAL RECORDS RETURN TO CEMETERY HISTORY
Sunnyside Cemetery map - Historic Section Detail
  1. Davis Blockhouse
    Built as a log cabin in 1853 and converted to a blockhouse in 1857. Restored by the Ladies of the Round Table in 1931
  2. Mary Maylor tombstone - next to blockhouse
    Mary died in 1861 giving birth to her fourth child. Her husband Sam had this tombstone made in Ireland. He brought it around the horn in 1865. The tombstone was donated to the Island County Historical Society. Mary is buried in Oak Harbor.
  3. Alick Kettle
    Alick was the last Native American to live in Coupeville. He died in 1947 at the age of 96. Coupeville residents built a home for Alick and his wife Susie. This area is called an "Indian burial ground." There are many Indians buried in unmarked graves.
  4. Margaret Hastie
    Margaret's husband Thomas Hastie was the only known monument carver on Whidbey Whidbey Island. He carved this for his wife in 1863. There are several field stones in this lot marking graves but only one name.
  5. Frank Pratt - south corner
    Frank's grave is the only one in Sunnyside Cemetery that faces north and south. He was a philanthropist and did a great deal to protect and enhance our local history.
  6. Robert Pratt
    Robert was the son of Frank. He was a recluse living most of his life in Seattle. He always dreamed of coming back to the island to farm. He died in 1999 and willed a large portion of his property to the Nature Conservancy, protecting forever some of the most beautiful property on Whidbey Island.
  7. Captain William Robertson
    Captain Robertson was one of several deep water captains that settled in central Whidbey Island. He was the first light house keeper at Admiralty Head in 1861
  8. John Alexander
    John moved to Coupeville in 1852 and homesteaded the west side of the town. At that time, there were only three families. His tombstone is a replica. The original 1858 stone is very fragile and displayed in the Alexander Blockhouse in Coupeville.
  9. Flora Pearson Engle
    Flora's father Daniel Pearson was the second lighthouse keeper at Admiralty Head. At the age of 14 she came from the east coast over the Isthmus of Panama with her mother in 1864. Flora married the pioneer William Engle. A prolific writer, she recorded much of our early history.
  10. Fidelia Power
    Fidelia died, giving birth to twins in 1890. Her husband Henry had a beautiful tombstone erected in her memory. The twins survived.
  11. Joseph Parker and Manuel Silva - wood headboards
    Joseph and Manuel were indigent seamen who lost their lives in 1911 when the steam boat "Whidby" burned at Oak Harbor. The headboards are replicas of the originals.
  12. Sam Hancock
    Explorer, entrepreneur, farmer and pioneer. Sam explored the Pacific northwest looking for coal. He owned a trading post at Neah Bay, married Susan Crockett and settled on Whidbey in 1860. His is the tallest monument in Sunnyside Cemetery.
  13. Jacob and Sarah Ebey - large concrete curb
    Jacob and Sarah were the parents of Isaac, the first Whidbey Island homesteader. They came west on the Oregon Trail and homesteaded here in 1854.
  14. Winfield Ebey - large concrete curb
    Winfield was the son of Jacob and Sarah. He kept extensive journals that are now preserved in the University of Washington Library.
  15. Mary Ebey - large concrete curb
    Mary was the daughter of Jacob and Sarah. She was responsible for starting Sunnyside Cemetery on the corner of her parents farm in 1865.
  16. Isaac Ebey - white picket fence
    Isaac was the first homesteader on Whidbey Island in 1850. He was beheaded by the Kake Indians in 1857.
  17. Rebecca Ebey - white picket fence
    Wife of Isaac, Rebecca and their two sons came on the Oregon Trail to join him in 1851. She died in 1853.
  18. Captain Howard and Calista Lovejoy - single pipe fence
    Calista was the first white woman on Camano Island. She married a sea captain at the age of 17 and settled in Coupeville in 1858. They had six children. The eldest, Howard Jr., built several of the beautiful homes and churches that still stand in Coupeville.
  19. Captain Thomas Coupe - iron and concrete fence
    Captain Coupe homesteaded the eastern portion of Coupeville in 1852. Coupe and his wife owned property from Penn Cove to Prairie Center. They donated property to the church and school.
  20. Maria Coupe - iron and concrete fence
    Maria was a typical pioneer woman, helping her neighbors and feeding all of the visitors. In her will, she set aside $1,000 to build a fence of stone and iron around their cemetery lot.
  21. Dr. John Kellogg - large spire, east of Coupe lot
    Dr. Kellogg was known as the canoe doctor. Crews of Indians rowed him all over Puget Sound to visit his patients. He homesteaded the area where Fort Casey is in 1854.